Saturday, February 26, 2011

Breakfast Couscous

As much as I like variety in all my meals, I've always been really boring when it comes to breakfast. That is because my breakfast cereal is dosed with crack and I cannot stop eating it. The box says it's just almonds, flakes, and honey. I swear there must be crack in there too though! Despite that addiction, I've branched out occasionally, obsessing over Mexican breakfasts, delicious muffins, oatmeal pancakes, and more. But most weekdays not only is it faster to pop open the cereal box, but also it requires less thinking at an early hour.

It's nice to have a hot breakfast, but it's effort. At least until I came across breakfast couscous. It's only a little more work than cereal seeing as it mostly involves pouring milk and couscous into a pot. There's a few other ingredients like brown sugar and cinnamon, dried fruit and nuts, but it's basically up to you what and how much you throw in there.

The best part is, it's really tasty. I could probably eat the entire 3 serving recipe myself. It's like a eating a bowl of rice pudding, all warm and creamy and sweet. Couscous is just another grain, pretty bland on its own and ready to take on the flavor of anything around it. Once I start making breakfast couscous, I want to have it every day for weeks on end. If I hadn't just made it myself, I'd think there was crack in this stuff too!


Breakfast Couscous (Cooking Light)
Yield: 2-3 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cups water
  • 1 cup nonfat milk
  • 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Bring water and milk to a boil in a small saucepan; stir in remaining ingredients. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand 10 minutes. (Mixture will thicken as it cools.)

No comments:

Post a Comment